CEO Career Opportunity
Title: Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Reports to: CADC Board of Directors
Last updated: February 15, 2021
Charlottetown Area Development Corporation (CADC) is a progressive organization that works to attract private sector development and investment opportunities to grow and expand commercial development in the Greater Charlottetown area. CADC has played an important development role in Charlottetown since 1974 and operates as a self-financed entity, receiving no government operating subsidies.
The mandate of CADC is to provide innovation, investment, and expertise for individual projects of economic and social benefit that government or the private sector are not prepared to execute alone. CADC fills two important roles – to act as a catalyst with the private sector and to bring together various levels of the business community to initiate development projects and urban renewal.
CADC operates to achieve six strategic goals:
- To be a proactive leader in economic development;
- To create development opportunities that facilitate private sector investment;
- To leverage public and private sector partnerships;
- To identify and access a strong database of funding resources;
- To be creative and innovative in implementing and financing property and infrastructure development; and
- To enhance an understanding of the greater Charlottetown area as one economic unit.
CADC’s Chief Executive Officer is the highest-ranking executive in the organization. Responsibilities of this individual include making major corporate decisions, managing the overall operations and resources of the organization, acting as the main point of communication between the Board of Directors and corporate operations, and representing the organization to the general public.
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) is accountable to the Board of Directors for three key objectives:
- To assist the Board of Directors in their process of setting policy and making decisions;
- To administer the affairs of CADC in accordance with the by-laws and Board of Directors’ direction; and
- To initiate, oversee, and manage operations and projects to meet CADC’s mission and strategic goals.
CADC’s CEO is a dynamic leader who promotes integrity and accountability. They exhibit exceptional business acumen and excellent communication skills in all aspects of the role.
Leadership and Management
- Provide leadership to the Chair, Executive and Board of Directors (Board) on the daily activities of CADC to meet the strategic goals identified by the Board
- Develop and implement business strategic direction, budgets, marketing plans, capital investment plans, and capital maintenance/improvement strategies for Board approval
- Provide support and direction to the Board in strategic planning and policy development initiatives, including the identification of alternatives for the Board’s consideration
- Prepare draft policy statements for the BOD’s consideration and submit program, budget, or project plans for BOD’s consideration
- Act as a resource to Board Committees
- Provide regular financial, operations, and project status reports to the Board detailing activities, progress, and other pertinent issues
- Manage and direct all business activities and operations through the staff of CADC
- Manage the performance of direct reports and ensure all CADC staff receive appropriate and timely performance management
- Ensure development of resources and training to support employees’ productivity and objectives
- Build relationships with CADC shareholders, all three levels of government, and community stakeholders
- Represent and market CADC in the areas of regional economic development and infrastructure development
- Act as CADC’s official spokesperson on public relations issues as directed by the Board Chair
- Coordinate and manage the implementation of development projects in terms of relationship management, project oversight, project delivery, and achievement of project objectives
Job Requirements (Education and Experience)
- Bachelor or master’s degree in Business, Accounting, Finance, or related field
- Minimum of ten years’ experience in a senior management position(s) directing a wide range of accountabilities, including corporate management, strategic planning and visioning, marketing and business development, negotiation
- In-depth understanding of accounting principles including balance sheets, budgeting, capital planning management, cash flow, and income statements
- Senior management experience with board governance
- Significant experience managing staff, leading by example, and motivating high performing teams
- Achieving Business Results – Analytical thinking; Business acumen; Conceptual thinking; Decisive insight; Long-term focus; Managing organizational resources; Problem solving; Strategic orientation
- Leading People – Building teams; Developing people; Motivating for peak performance; Promoting empowerment
- Interpersonal Relations – Concern for public image; Conflict management; Customer and client development; Engaging external stakeholders; Impact and influence; Relationship building
- Personal Effectiveness – Building partnerships with stakeholders; Improving operations; Innovative thinking; Results orientation
What CADC Provides
We offer a competitive compensation package including group benefits, defined contribution retirement plan, and salary to be determined based on the successful candidate’s background and experience.
Applications will be accepted online here (URL: https://bit.ly/3pcxmLw). Drop-ins, phone calls and mail ins will not be accepted. Inquiries can be made in confidence to recruit@resolveHR.ca with “CADC Chief Executive Officer” in the subject line.
The closing date for applications is February 26, 2021.
CADC is an equal opportunity employer. If you feel you have the qualifications, we encourage you to apply.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.