West River Municipality: Chief Administrative Officer
The Rural Municipality of West River is seeking applications for the position of Chief Administrative Officer. This role is the first full-time permanent position for the newly established amalgamated community. As CAO, the individual will be responsible for the operations and administration of the community affairs and following the PEI Municipal Government Act. An effective communicator, diplomatic decision-maker, and inclusive professional, this person will work with the Council and residents to further establish the municipality.
If serving the public and establishing a new rural municipal government excites you, we look forward to hearing from you!
Responsibilities and Duties:
- act as the administrative head of the municipality
- adhere to the PEI Municipal Government Act (MGA)
- develop operational policies/procedures
- build and maintain cooperative relationships with residents, businesses, community partners, other municipalities, and external partners
- develop and manage short- and long-term budgets for municipality and projects
- ensure complete and accurate accounts of assets, liabilities and transactions are maintained in accordance with the Canadian accounting standards for the public sector
- oversee external annual audit and project audits
- provide the Minister with statements, reports or other information regarding the municipality as outlined in the PEI MGA
- negotiate contracts on behalf of the municipality
- ensure municipal resolutions and policies are compiled with and its programs are implemented
- be solely responsible for hiring, directing, managing, and supervising employees and contract service providers of the municipality
- be knowledgeable on, and comply with, all policies and directives of Council and all relevant legislation
- advise and inform Council on the operation and affairs of the municipality
- attend and prepare information for Council and committee meetings as required
- draft and administer bylaws
- exercise the powers and carry out the duties and functions assigned to the CAO by Council and by the Municipal Government Act or other relevant Act
- notify Council if any action or inaction by Council or the municipality is contrary to a bylaw or resolution of council or a provision of the Municipal Government Act or another Act or legislation
- ensure Council and committee minutes are recorded and stored accurately and effectively
- This is a varied environment where you will be setting and rearranging priorities as needed. While the position reports directly to Council, the CAO must be responsive to residents, managing needs, and expectations diplomatically.
The successful candidate will possess:
- degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Accounting, Planning, or related/relevant field (a diploma may be considered with experience)
- certificate in Local Government Administration and/or Planning an asset
- experience in managing projects with respect to scope, timelines, and budgets
- two or more years as a senior manager or administrator with proven success
- understanding of municipal legislation
- technological mindset: computer competency for accounting using Simply Accounting, payroll systems, Excel, Word, archiving data, producing spreadsheets, documents, presentations, email, backups, computer networking
- high respect for confidentiality and diplomacy in all matters
- an acceptable criminal record check
- use of a personal vehicle (mileage will be reimbursed)
- excellent oral and written communication skills
- knowledge of the principles and practices of municipal finance and administration
- ability to work flexible hours to accommodate evening and/or weekend meetings and/or events as required
The closing date for applications is November 14th, 2020.
Applications will be accepted online via Indeed only. Drop-ins and phone calls will not be accepted. Questions about the hiring process or position can be sent in confidence to recruit@resolveHR.ca.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
About West River Municipality
The Rural Municipality of West River incorporated effective September 1, 2020, by Executive Council with the amalgamation of the Rural Municipality of Afton, Rural Municipality of Bonshaw, Rural Municipality of Meadow Bank, Rural Municipality of New Haven-Riverdale, and Rural Municipality of West River.
The (new) Rural Municipality of West River is the largest rural municipality on PEI with an estimated population of 3,400. It is a picturesque rural community dominated with farmland and miles of waterfront property.
Posted 2020 10 31